1940 - 1949
1940 - 1949
1940: Founding of the training workshop
STIHL sets up an apprenticeship division with a training workshop. Thanks to in-house training, the employees are tied to STIHL from the outset.
1942: STIHL in wartime
Despite conscription and frequent air raids, production continues to increase. Together with other companies, STIHL is commissioned to produce the KS 43 standard chainsaw for the forestry authorities and the German Armed Forces.
1944: Destruction of the factory
During the bombing of Stuttgart, the STIHL plant in Cannstatt is severely damaged. The entire production facilities are relocated to Neustadt (Waiblingen).
1945: Start of reconstruction
CEO Andreas Stihl is temporarily detained by the allies at the end of World War II. Rebuilding of the company that has been placed under trust management begins with only 80 employees remaining.
1943: KS 43 two-person petrol-powered chainsaw
The blower, tank and carburettor housing on the KS 43 “power saw” (8 hp, 36 kg) are made of especially lightweight magnesium die cast material.
1949: Type 140 all-purpose tractor
The STIHL forwarder is powered by an air-cooled two-stroke diesel engine produced in-house. Until 1963, the production of the utility vehicle for agricultural and forestry use, which makes a place for itself among the leading brands from major companies, proves that STIHL can build far more than just chainsaws.